Last June I took part in a hackathon in San Francisco. It was called "Hacktivate ED" and it was 100% focused on solving problems in education. With my team we decided to tackle the issue of bad behaviour in class. We found out that a big problem nowadays is that there is a lot of paperwork involved in referring misbehaving students to the principal. This is distracting to the teacher and causes only more class time to be wasted. Because forms easily get lost the current process is also prone to breaking off valuable paper trail. In order to solve this problem together with my teammates we created an app that allows the teacher to easily capture what had happend and pass the info to the administration.
The app can tap into the school's scheduling / student data and use this contextual information to instantly tell what is the current class and list of present students. From the list of students the teacher then selects the culprit and gets to the referral screen. There the teacher adds either a voice or text message with the description of incident and sends it off to the school's admin via email. The admin receives the notification in the inbox and is able to follow up using the web portal which we also built. We called the app "ReferrED".
We worked on it for the full 24 hours and managed to get the prototype up and running literally just a few minutes before it was due. It was totally worth the hard work: not only did we win two awards in the hackathon but also met a whole lot of amazing people.
Below are my mockups of the user interface refreshed a bit today to reflect the changes brought in the meantime by iOS7.