Saturday 18 October 2008

Enriching Lives

Just got back from my first day at Apple Regent Store! Many things were said, many things happened and one thing is for sure - there is nothing like working for Apple! The company's culture, the climate, the atmosphere - whatever you call it - is simply amazing! Really, I can hardly express what a great company it is to work for!

First day at work

Today was the first of the four-and-a-half-day training programme. During the seminars that I, along with twelve fellow successful applicants, have participated in, we learnt mainly about Apple culture and Apple Retail history. We also learnt about Apple products and services. This was lot of fun, but we learnt more than that. We learnt how to enrich the lives of our customers.

It may sound quirky and a bit like a brain wash of sorts, but the message delivered by our manager was extremely powerful: our job description was enriching lives. This is so vital because his job was to enrich our lives! Now, it may sound like a little thing, but to me this was HUGE! Why? Taking a bit simplistic approach, this means that not only I can earn a living but also learn and make others happy at the same time! Or to put it another way round – I get paid for learning and making others happy! How cool is that!!!?

Instant connection

I must say, one of the things that captured my mind for a good while during the seminars was how instantly everybody got connected with each other. It was incredible – everybody who I spoke to was smiling and was so eager to hear what I had to say. I myself felt in the very same way – wanted to hear as much as I could about the others. I was overwhelmed by how much we had in common. As a matter of fact, I am even more overwhelmed now, as I realise that at first glance there was absolutely nothing that one would think connected us! With regard to this, perhaps, a great lesson that I have learnt today was what our manager told us during the session:

“You don’t know anything about anybody, until you had a conversation with them”.

This is so spot on.

A biologist in the forest

I would love to share more with you, but I won’t as I am now bound by the company’s non-disclosure agreement. Indeed, as a Business Management student I could talk for hours about the things I saw and experienced today. After all, I am in my own habitat. I feel like a biologist in the forest – I can examine and inspect, learn and discover almost indefinitely! Actually, I think I made one discovery already. It is that dreams really do COME TRUE!

1 comment:

  1. Piotr, this was a marvelous message. I enjoy looking at your blog every so often to see what wisdom you have learned. I totally agree with your quote, we do have to talk with someone and get to know someone before we can every make any kind of a judgement about them.
    You have not posted for a while and I wonder how your new job is going? It sounds like you are in a wonderful situation with you work. Hope all is well with you and that you have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete